What is Universal Credit?

As part of the government’s benefit changes, Universal Credit will replace most income related benefits including:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Child Tax Credit

You will soon get just one benefit payment each month, paid directly to your bank, credit union or post office account and it will be your responsibility to pay your rent to Broadacres.

Universal Credit FAQs

Universal Credit advice

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) have provided documents and tools to give advice about Universal Credit.  To visit the DWP website please click here.

Work while you claim Universal Credit

There are no limits to the number of hours you can work a week if you receive Universal Credit. Your payment will reduce gradually as you earn more and you won’t lose all your benefits at once if you’re on a low income.

Your Claimant Commitment

You’ll have to accept a ‘Claimant Commitment’ if you want to get Universal Credit. This is an agreement that you’ll complete certain tasks in order to claim Universal Credit.

What you agree to do will depend on things such as your health, your responsibilities at home and how much help you need to get work or increase your income.

How to claim

You can claim Universal Credit online.

Contact the helpline if:

  • you have any questions
  • your circumstances change and you’re already getting Universal Credit

Universal Credit helpline
Telephone: 0345 600 0723
Textphone: 0345 600 0743

How you’ll be paid

Universal Credit is paid differently from current benefits. It’ll be paid once a month, usually into your bank or building society account.

If you live with your partner and both claim Universal Credit you’ll receive a single payment that covers you both.

Any help you get with your rent will be included with your Universal Credit payment and you’ll then pay your landlord yourself.

Contact the national independent Money Advice Service to get help budgeting and planning for Universal Credit.

You should apply for any other benefits you’re eligible for as usual.