Broadacres Housing Association (we or us) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Broadacres is a not for profit housing association based in Northallerton in North Yorkshire. We own and manage more than 6,000 homes and we provide a range of services in relation to both property services and broader social welfare in the community.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the General Data Protection Regulation (the GDPR), the data controller is Broadacres Housing Association Limited, Broadacres House, Mount View, Standard Way, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 2YD.
The person responsible for data protection at Broadacres is our Data Protection Manager, Keith Wilkinson. We are registered as a data controller with the Information Commissioner’s Office (the ICO) with registration number: Z6826705.
1 Personal information we may collect about you
We may collect the following personal data from you:
- your name, address, email address, telephone number, and other contact details you provide to us during our communications or when you use any of our services;
- your employment history, your education information and qualifications and any other details provided in your CV where you are applying for a job, work experience or to volunteer with us;
- any information you include on your application for a tenancy with us;
- bank account and payment card details;
- your housing and financial circumstances including any benefits you may receive; and
- details of your personal circumstances including your date of birth, health data, racial or ethnic origin, religious beliefs or information about your sex life and/or orientation where you are using one of our support services.
Where you use our website (www.broadacres.org.uk) (the Website), we may also collect information about your device, including where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type for system administration purposes and to report aggregate information to our advertisers. This is statistical data about our users’ browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
We may also ask you for information if you report a problem with the Website, including:
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence which may include your name and contact details;
any information you provide to us via surveys which we have asked you to complete for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them;
- details of transactions you have carried out through our Website and of the fulfilment of your orders; and
- details of your visits to our Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access.
Please note telephone calls to our Contact Centre are recorded for training and quality purposes.
2 Information we collect from third parties
We are part of the North Yorkshire Home Choice Scheme. North Yorkshire Home Choice advertises council and housing association properties for rent and shared ownership properties for sale. Where you submit an application to North Yorkshire Home Choice to become a tenant, your personal information will be passed to us for review. This personal information may include:
- your name, contact details and address information (including your address history for the last five years);
- your employment information;
- your date of birth;
- your national insurance number; and
- details about your financial information, including your annual income and any savings or shares that you have.
We may also collect personal data about you from searches of Credit Reference Agencies (CRAs) and Fraud Prevention Agencies (FPAs). This will include their records relating to you and other people with whom you are linked financially, from public records, e.g. the electoral roll and third parties e.g. credit brokers where you have provided information to them and consented for it be passed to us.
When CRAs receive a search from us they place a search “footprint” on your credit file whether or not the application proceeds. Records remain on file with CRAs and FPAs for 6 years after they are closed, whether settled by you or defaulted.
More information about CRAs and how they use personal information is available at http://www.experian.co.uk/crain/index.html or you can contact the agencies below:
Callcredit Consumer Services Team, PO Box 491, Leeds, LS3 1WZ Tel: 0330 024 7579 or visit www.callcredit.co.uk
Equifax PLC Credit File Advice Centre, PO Box 3001, Bradford, BD1 5US Tel: 0870 010 0583 or visit www.equifax.co.uk
Experian Consumer Help Service, PO Box 8000, Nottingham, NG80 7WF Tel: 0870 241 6212 or visit www.experian.co.uk
For more information about FPAs and how they use personal information, you can contact Veritau of County Hall Northallerton DL7 8AL Tel: 01609 535034 or visit www.veritau.co.uk/
3 How and why we use your information
We use your personal data in the following ways and for the following purposes:
- where you have applied for a job or voluntary role with us, we process your personal data because it is necessary to consider your job application; this is us taking steps before entering into a contract with you;
- where you are an employee or volunteer with us, we process this information so that we can perform our obligations under the contract which is in place between us;
- in relation to the users of any services Broadacres provides, we process your data to enable us to provide you with such service. Where there is a contract in place between us, for example, where you are a tenant or where you have signed up to use one of our services, we process your personal data to ensure that we can carry out our obligations arising from such contracts. Where there is not a contract in place between us, or the processing goes beyond our obligations under the contract, we will request your consent for such processing;
- in relation to your bank account and payment card details, to collect rent and other payments due from you, and to manage your accounts with us;
- to ensure that content from our Website is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to send surveys to you, so that you may provide us with information to enable us to improve our services;
- to keep you updated about Broadacres’ work in the community; and
- to provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
If you are an existing customer, we may contact you by electronic means (email or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous dealing with you. You may opt out of receiving such marketing by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any such emails or by contacting us by any of the methods detailed in section 7 below.
If you are not yet a customer, we may process your personal data to send you marketing by electronic means but we will only do this if you have consented to such marketing. You may opt out of receiving such marketing by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any such emails or by contacting us by any of the methods detailed in section 7 below.
4 Sharing your information with third parties
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- where we need to do so in order to meet our obligations to you under any contracts we have entered into;
- in the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets; and
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Broadacres, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
5 Where we store your information and transfers
We store your personal data on our servers which are located within the European Economic Area (EEA), however we may need to transfer data outside the EEA as a result of some of the service providers we use. Before we transfer your personal data outside of the EEA, we will ensure that there is adequate protection in place to ensure the security of your data. Please ask us if you would like to see a copy of these agreements with third parties in respect of data transfers.
6 Your rights in respect of your personal data
The GDPR provides you with a number of rights in respect of your personal data, including:
Right to access
Subject to certain exceptions, you have the right to access information that we hold about you upon request. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us by writing to us at: Data Protection Manager, Broadacres Housing Association, Broadacres House, Mount View, Standard Way, Northallerton, North Yorkshire, DL6 2YD or email us at email@example.com. We may request proof of your identity before sharing such information with you.
Right to rectify your personal data
If you discover that the information we hold about you is incorrect or out of date, you may ask us to correct that information.
Right to be forgotten
You may ask us to delete information we hold about you in certain circumstances. It may not be possible for us to delete all of the information we hold about you where we have an ongoing relationship, however please contact us and we will do our best to assist with your request.
Where we process your data on the basis that you have consented to such processing, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any time by unsubscribing from emails we send to you or contacting us. You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us.
In addition to the above, you may also ask us to stop or restrict processing of the personal data we have about you. You may also ask us to transfer your personal data to a third party in certain circumstances. If you would like any other information on these aspects of your rights, please contact us.
7 Contact and complaints
If you have any questions, would like to exercise any of your rights or make a complaint, please contact us by writing to us at: Data Protection Manager, Broadacres Housing Association, Broadacres House, Mount View, Standard Way, NORTHALLERTON, North Yorkshire, DL6 2YD; email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01609 767900.
If we are unable to resolve your complaint you may contact the Information Commissioner’s Office at the Exchange Tower, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF; telephone number: 0303 123 1113.
8 Other websites
As a result of improvements we make to our services, changes in the law or developments in technology, we may change the data we hold about you or the method and purposes for which we process such data. If we make any substantial change in the way in which we use your personal data we will notify you by email.
The information provided on this website is provided to you in good faith on the basis of information supplied to us. While every effort has been made to ensure that the content is accurate, we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the information and accept no liability for any errors and/or misrepresentations. We accept no liability or responsibility for any claims, losses, liabilities, obligations, costs, judgments, penalties or expenses of any kind arising therefrom, of which this list is inclusive but not exhaustive, and any other damage caused by the reliance of this information or in the event of bankruptcy and/or liquidation and/or cessation of trade by any company, individual or firm named herein.