How to get advice if you’re struggling to pay your rent

Do you need help paying your rent? Unable to pay your rent?

If you are unable to pay your rent, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible. We have a dedicated team of Income Officers on hand to help you and advise on what to do if you are:

  • Starting a new job
  • Changing your working hours
  • Unsure about a benefit you may be getting
  • Have a question about Universal credit?

Please complete the form below if you would like some help or assistance.

Struggling to pay your rent

Broadacres want to advise and support you if you are having financial problems and we offer a free, independent and confidential money management and welfare benefits service.  We can provide advice on budgeting, welfare benefits and financial products such as basic bank accounts and home contents insurance.

Do you need help with paying your rent?

This could be in two ways:

The Money Advice Team

The Money Advice Team provide advice on budgeting, debt, welfare benefits and financial products such as basic bank accounts and home contents insurance.

Find out more

Our Policy and Procedure on rent arrears

Our procedure is as follows.

We will try to contact you via phone, letter, text, email and by visiting your home. We will offer support and advice where possible and if we are unable to help you, then we will offer a range of external agencies you may be able to help.

If you do not respond or do not ensure that you are able to pay your rent we will consider the best course of action to recover the debt.

If you fail to pay your rent, we will serve you with a Notice Seeking Possession.

If this continues we will apply to court to get possession of your home.

If you fail to engage with the County Court – it is likely that we will request a bailiff to evict you from your home.

Between every stage of our procedure we will contact you and give you the chance to discuss any problems you are having and make an agreement to pay. If you keep this agreement, we will not take any more action.

What are the consequences of rent arrears (debts)?

If you do not have a clear rent account, it is unlikely that you will be able to transfer or exchange to another home.

  • If you lose your home as a result of rent arrears, you may be seen as having made yourself intentionally homeless and you could find it very hard to find somewhere else to live.
  • You may have a county court judgement issued against you. This will affect your credit rating, which could mean that you will be refused a loan, credit card, mortgage or other rented accommodation in the future.
  • If we do have to take court action, it is likely that you will have to pay the court fees, which can be very high.